- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Math Sciences), Troy, NY
(Advisor: Dr. Jong-Shi Pang)
- 2002, Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
(Advisor: Dr. Harris N. McClamroch)
- 1997, M.S.E. in Control, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China
- 1994, B.S.E. in Control, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China
Research and Publications
- Switching and hybrid systems (e.g. complementarity systems and DVIs) and their applications
- Theory and algorithms of continuous optimization and constrained optimal control with applications to statistics and engineering
- Dynamics, control and simulation of multibody mechanical and robotic systems
- Nonlinear control theory and applications
- Selected Recent Publications
- Generalized Input-to-state L2-gains of Discrete-time Switched Linear Control Systems (J. Hu, J. Shen, and V. Putta), SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, Vol. 54(3), pp. 1475-1503, 2016.
- Robust Non-Zenoness of Piecewise Affine Systems with Applications to Linear Complementarity Systems (J. Shen). SIAM Journal on Optimization, Vol.24(4), pp. 2023-2056, 2014.
- Stability of Discrete-time Switched Homogeneous Systems on Cones and Conewise Homogeneous Inclusions (J. Shen and Jianghai Hu). SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, Vol. 50(4), pp. 2216-2253, 2012.
- Positive Invariance of Constrained Affine Dynamics and Its Applications to Hybrid Systems and Safety Verification (J. Shen). IEEE Tran. on Automatic Control, Vol.57(1), pp. 3-18, 2012.
- Estimation of Monotone Functions via P-Splines: A Constrained Dynamical Optimization Approach (J. Shen and Xiao Wang). SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, Vol. 49(2), pp. 646-671, 2011.
- Generating Functions of Switched Linear Systems: Analysis, Computation, and Stability Applications (Jianghai Hu, J. Shen, and Wei Zhang), IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 56, No. 5, pp. 1059-1074, 2011.
- Complete Publication List
- Conferences: IEEE CDC, ACC, SIAM Conf. on Contr. & Applic., AMS Sectional Meeting, Banff Workshop on Computational Contact Mechanics, Inter. Linear Algebra Society Meeting, NSF CMMI Grantee Conf., INFORMS Annual Meeting, Inter. Symp. Math. Program., ASME DSCC, Inter. Conf. on Complementarity Problems, Inter. Conf. on Continuous Optim., Midwest Motion Planning Meeting
- Seminars: UMBC Applied Math Colloquium and Seminar, George Washington University ME Seminar, UIUC Workshop, Texas Tech, Univ. of Michigan Symposium in honor of Prof. McClamroch, RPI Applied Math Seminar, and more
- Proposal Review: NSF panels, DOE external review, NWO (Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research) external review
- Paper Review: SICON, SIOPT, SIAM J. on Scientific Computing, IEEE Tran. Auto. Contr., Math. Program. (Series A and B), Automatica, Optimization Methods & Software, IEEE Tran. Contr. Syst. Tech., IEEE Tran. Circu. & Syst. Part I, Sys. & Contr. Letter, Int. J. Robust & Nonlin. Contr., Int. J. of Contr., Optim. Contr. Applic. & Methods, Nonl. Analy. Series A, Dyna. of Contin., Discrete, and Impuls. Syst., Physica D, IEEE TRA, AIAA JGCD, ASME JDSMC, J. of Vibr. & Contr., CDC, ACC, CCA, MSC, IROS, and more
- IEEE Senior Member
- SIAM Member
Teaching and Mentoring
Continuous Optimization, Systems and Control Theory, Dynamical Systems and Differential Equations, Applied Analysis (real analysis, convex/nonsmooth analysis), Matrix Analysis and Linear Algebra, Statistical Inference and Estimation
- Teresa Lebair, Ph.D., defended on June 28, 2016, Thesis Title: Constrained Estimation and Approximation using Control, Optimization and Spline Theory . The first position: Assistant Research Professor at Johns Hopkins University.
- Seyedahmad Mousavi, Ph.D. student (present), Thesis topic: Constrained Sparse Optimization
- Subhash Paruchuru, Master Thesis:"Uniform approximation property of implicit methods for a stiff family of differential equations", defended in December, 2011 (co-chair).
- Bruno Kamdem, Master Thesis:"An optimal solution to a resource allocation problem", defended in July, 2008.
- Peter Davis, undergraduate summer research, Project:"Switching behaviors of contact mechanical systems subject to parameter variations", supported by NSF, 2014.
- Suravi Das, undergraduate summer research, Project:"Estimation of genetic networks", supported by NSF, 2014.
- Christine Sweigart, undergraduate summer research, Project:"Modeling and dynamics of gene regulation networks", supported by NSF, 2010 (published in UMBC Review, Vol. 12, pp. 74-95, 2011).
- Stuart Reynard, undergraduate summer research, Project:"Switching properties and simulation of contact mechanical systems", supported by NSF, 2012.
- Faculty advisor of UMBC SIAM Student Chapter: 2011-Spring, 2012
- Faculty advisor of Pi Mu Epsilon at UMBC (Honorary National Mathematics Society): 2009-2011
- Co-organizer of the 3rd SIAM Mid-Atlantic Regional Applied Math Student Conference at Shippensburg Univ.,PA, 2012
Copyright © Jinglai Shen
Last updated, January 2018