Muddappa Seetharama Gowda
Professor of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, Maryland 21250, U.S.A.
Office: Math/Psy 431
Phone: (410) 455--2431
Fax: (410) 455--1066
- B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc. in Mathematics, Bangalore University, India
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1982
- Area of specialization: Several Complex Variables
- Thesis advisor: Walter Rudin
- University of Mississippi, 1982-84
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 1984-
- Research interests:
- Optimization (complementarity problems, variational inequality problems)
- Euclidean Jordan algebras
- Applied analysis
- Associate Editor -- SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, 1992-1999
- Guest Editor -- Annals of Operations Research
- Guest Editor -- Pacific Journal of Optimization
- Reviewer for -- Math Programming, Math of OR, SIOPT, SICON, JOGO, JOTA,...
- Thesis supervision:
- Roman Sznajder, PhD, 1994; Professor of Mathematics, Bowie State University
- Cristen Jones, MS, 1996
- Yoon Song, MS, 1999
- Mohamed Tawhid, PhD, 2000; Professor of Mathematics, Thomson River University, Canada
- Yoon Song, PhD, 2002; Associate Professor, Soongsil University, Korea
- Jiyuan Tao, PhD, 2004; Professor of Mathematics, Loyola University in Maryland
- Yihui Zhou, MS, 2007; Associate Professor, North Caroline State University
- Melania M. Moldovan, PhD, 2009; Technical University of Cluj-Nacopa, Romania
- Babhru Joshi, Undergraduate Thesis, 2013; PhD student, Rice University.
- David Trott, PhD, 2014; Department of Defense, Maryland.
- Michael Orlitzky, PhD, 2017; Chief of Network Operations, Viabit Corporation, Maryland.
- Juyoung Jeong, PhD, 2017, Post-Doc, Applied Algebra and Optimization Research Cener, Sungkyuankwan University, South Korea.
- Research collaboration with visitors:
- G. Ravindran, Indian Statistical Institute, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2012, 2015.
- T.Parthasarathy, Indian Statistical Institute, 2000.
- David Sossa, Chile, Sept. 8 -- Oct. 28, 2016
- Xiaoni Chi, China, Jan 16, 2017-- Jan 15, 2018.
- Teaching interests:
- Graduate level: Real/complex/functional analysis, measure theory, optimization
- Undergraduate level: Real/complex analysis, topology, linear/matrix algebra, optimization
- Administrative work:
- Coordinator for undergraduate advisement, 1990-92
- Director of graduate programs in Mathematics and Statistics, 1992-94 and 2005-2008
- Membership in university committees (Past/Present):
- Undergraduate Council
- University Faculty Review Committee
- Valedictorian Selection Committee
- Presidential Teaching/Research Professor Selection
- Faculty Affairs Committee
- Graduate Council, 2012-2014
- Faculty Senate, 2014-2016
- Latest technical REPORTS
- Mathematical Genealogy
- Award: UMBC's Presidential Teaching Professor, July 1, 2000-
June 30, 2003
Places to Go from Here: